From:
Anastasia Kidd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 01:15:46 EST
I am having a very hard time right now.  When I went into the ferret room
this evening to begin cage cleaning, I found Mercury dead in the bottom of
the cage he shared with 3 of the girls.  He was lying half in the litter
pan.  He was so cold.  I did't see any sign of vomitting or diarrhea or
anything.  It looks like he just got halfway in and then lay down and died.
I've suspected he might have been developing insulinoma so perhaps he had
a seizure and his poor heart just couldn't handle it.  I'll never know for
sure.  I probably should have a post mortem done but I don't know how long
he had been dead.  I'm out of the house 12 hours out of the day and he was
just so very cold.  I think he passed early in the day.  Also, after I put
him in a box, wrapped in a soft towel, my housemate put him in the freezer
where Zhaki's empty shell also waits for spring.  I blame myself for this.
I failed him somehow.  I hope he can forgive me.

Anastasia