From:
Melissa Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 May 2001 15:25:20 -0700
Hi folks,

There is most likely already an applicable law in place.  Most states and
cities have specific laws on numbers.  My city ordinances state that no
more than three dogs 6mo plus and two non-fixed cats over 1yr can be in
one household.  Legally, these must all be liscenced and vaccinated against
rabies.  Also, anyone with small animals not living IN the house must have
a permit to have more than three.

None of THESE laws would apply to 50 ferrets, if they were all living in
the house, BUT, there is also a law which states that you must have a
certain amount of square footage per pound of animal not otherwise covered
in the ordinances.

I think this is perfectly appropriate.  These laws are in place for the
safety of the animal as well as human residences of my city.  It is certain
that any animal, whatever size, needs a certain amount of space.  So,
legislation of this type is almost purely for the benifit of the animal.

Perhaps there is similar legislation already in place in your city.  I
would recommend to EVERYONE that they contact their local animal control
office and ask that a copy of all animal related ordinances be sent or
emailed to them.  The director of my city's animal control emailed me
personally with a nice message and a copy of the ordinances attached, for
free.

Even if you aren't concerned, as Linda is, about the safety of certain
animals, you should know exactly what your city requires for care.

Melissa Barnes