From:
Harry Silvis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Mar 2001 23:51:23 -0500
Due to most of our "business" being older and rescues we have always mixed
up a mix using a variety of high qualtity kitten foods and it has really
worked well.  None want the 100% ferret food for some reason.  Many of us
remember Petoria.com that burst on the internet with the buy 1 get 1 free
deal followed by Petsmart and others.  We took full advantage of these
deals and even went crazy when the brick and motar Petsmart ran a deal to
bring in a bag from a grocery store and get 3 to 8 lbs of food for the
sales tax.  Petsmart has not ran this again, I wonder why!!!  Then there
was the 100# of free food from Nutro when the local PetSupermarket did not
have a special offer that they advertised.

So last month, I had to go out and buy some food.  What a shock, the 20#
bags are more of less gone and in their place at the same price is a 17.5#
bag.  So, it works out to be a 12.5% increase in the price.  So, the
shrinking size of products has moved from the food arena to the pet food
industry.

So, I emailed Nutro foods and got the following answer to my question on
the shrinking bags and my concern about the food actually being what is
listed on the outside, and is a consistant mix, over a long period.  I do
not believe it is, but, can not prove it is not.

>From: Charles Van Fossan <[log in to unmask]>
>Cc: Vickie Noxsel <[log in to unmask]>
>
>Thank you for your email. We did change the size on our cat food bags from
>20 to 17.5 pound. We made this change because of consumer preference. The
>retail prices are set by the individual stores. The formulation remains
>unchanged. If you have further questions or concerns, please contact our
>Consumer services Department at 1-800-833-5330, M-F, 8:00am-5:00pm Pacific
>standard time or you may visit our website at www.nutroproducts.com
>
>Charles
>Consumer Services
>Nutro Products,Inc.

So, we wanted to get 12.5% less and pay the same price!!!!!!

It is the stores, not us!!!!!!

I find in our area that the food prices are all within pennies, so if the
retailers did get the break, they all put it in their pockets.  Maybe we
need to get the Federal Government to investigate this as price fixing!!!

Please feel free to email the two folks at Nutro!!!!!!!  This could be
interesting

Harry C. Silvis/Zora Mae Silvis
KENNESAW GRAPHICS
3166 Cherokee Street, Ste 101
Kennesaw, Georgia 30144
770.421.1415    Fax 770.421.1745
"The Biggest Little Print Shop in Kennesaw"

                          ^^^^^^^
                      ^^            ^^^

  The Nine Ferrets of Kennesaw Graphics