From:
Geoff Kessler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 04:02:15 -0500
Hi all,

Thursday evening I stopped in to the local pet shop.  They had just and I
mean just received a new shipment of ferrets.  The owner who has become a
good friend of mine since they opened a few weeks ago, and her husband
where just taking the 8 little 6 week old babies out of the carrier they
were shipped in and putting them in to a display cage.  A little boy caught
my eye.  I wasn't looking to add to my crew of two.  BUT he was so sweet
and he had the best panda markings I have ever seen.  Never nipped as I
held him.  So I told my self NO.... NO MORE then of course I bought him.
He's a good eater and pooper.  But something bugs me.  When my other
ferrets where little when ever I opened the cage door even if they were
fast asleep.  Up they would spring all ready to play.  But when I open
little Banjo's cage door he just sleeps.  When I squeak the ball I got
for him he doses nothing doesn't even turn his head.  Besides the fact that
he doesn't respond to sounds like my other ferrets do.  He has a white
blaze marking on his head.  I remember reading somewhere a while back that
ferrets with white blaze markings on there heads had a greater chance of
being deaf.  I'm not sure is that is at all true.  Well now my question
besides taking my little guy to the vet what is the best way to check if
my ferret is deaf??  He's got a vets appointment for his 9 week distemper
in 3 weeks that's about the best that they could do with out an emergency
there "busy".  So if anyone knows a good proven way to check a ferret for
deafness please post it or email me....

Thanks All,

Geoff
Riki, Daisy, and Banjo