Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 12:21:12 -0700
Last week, we made the decision to debulk a slow growing fibrosarcoma tumor
on the left shoulder of one our otherwise healthy ferrets here at the
shelter.  It was obvious now that it was becoming quite painful for her to
be picked up and move around.  One of our more courageous vets, Dr. Steve
Feldman in Aurora took on the task.Steve does extremely great orthopedic
surgeries and this debulking was the second one he has done for us.  We
were fearing extreme lack of mobility after the surgery and we were in
the process of designing a prothesis for her to wheel around in, when she
suprised us with her lack of pain and two days after surgery, climbed into
a second level cage in which the door had been removed for the convenience
of our shelter kids that like to climb, but don't like sleeping on the
floor.

Tabitha is some brave ferret.  Combined with her sweetness and overall
demeanor, she will make a wonderful addition to some lucky family someday
soon.  She has a brother that must go with her.  she doesn't even act like
she is missing anything.  Last nite, Tabitha was on the 10 0'clock news
last nite just running around like nothing ever happened!  There will be
pictures of her on our website soon so keep looking for it at
www.especiallyferrets.org

Hugs,
Ferretguys