Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 07:19:41 -0800
Sara Weldon wrote:
>The vets that looked at him said he was about 4 to 5 weeks.  mind you we
>did not know this at the time we bought him he was the same size as all
>the other babys in the cage.  He is a little big his top weight was 5 and
>1\2 lbs he was from ruby fur farms and of course ruby fur farms said they
>due not ship that young but 2 vets said different.

Sara, were the kit's eyes open or still closed.  Ferret kit's eye open at
about 5 weeks of age.  This is a ferret fact!  So, if your baby's eyes were
fully open when you purchased him, he couldn't have been 4 to 5 weeks of
age.  More than likely, he was 6 weeks, which is about when the ferret
farms send them out for sale.

Many vets have no knowledge of ferret kits, as they don't see them in
their practice as they do puppies and kittens, so they can and do give
out incorrect information, many times based on puppy and kitten knowledge.
They mean well, but are doing the ferret community a disservice when they
do this.

For Our ferrets.

MC, The Rude One
(With Snorkle, Tuzigoot, and Bancho.  In spirit, Bubba, Billy-Bob, and
Garret)