From:
"www.Aarrow-Ranch.Com" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 11:04:15 -0500
It comes to all at some time the need to help a fert cross the bridge.
Today I responded to a person who is about to do that with my own feelings.

I took in two ferts, rescues, from a home in NC.  They were well loved,
not fed the best food, and in a small cage with a hammock strung like a
trampoline, but they were good boys both.  Full of fun, kisses and just
the sweetest ferts having been loved and otherwise well treated.

One had cancer.  It was so advanced by the time I found it he was
inoperable.  He lasted about 2 1/2 months with me when he could not be
held for pain, could not get up a ramp without resting half way up, and
could only fall down a ramp.  He ate like a horse but was skin and bones
and was passing that sticky poop which was blood from stomach bleeding.
I would pick him up to hold him and he loved it but it was painful for
him.  On setting him down, he lay exactly as I put him down where he had
no strength to move.  I took a few pictures of him, and put him down.

I helped him cross the bridge.  His pain and suffering was pain to me.  To
this day I am haunted at what I did, but was for sure the best thing for
him, as sweet and loving a fert as he was.  As I wrote to the other person,
the animals were given to Man to use as he sees fit, but nowhere is it
written to Abuse!  To allow an animal to live in pain and suffering is
abuse.  In that we all shall expire, it is prudent to help some bypass a
terrible experience, days of torture and untold trauma by accelerating the
crossing experience.  Is a kindness by any standard regardless of the hurt
for our loss.  A gift it is.  Is hard, damn hard to make that decision.

Many of us here on the FML have had to do this.  When anyone needs to
discuss the idea and venture facing them, the FML is invaluable in gaining
proper data to help make that decision and to also help close the emotional
wound of our giving this difficult act.

For those who have had to do this, God Bless and know right or wrong, your
intentions were good, get on with caring for those who are left for we all
will join them some day ourselves!  Ha!  No escape for anyone!

Gordon, Byte-me, Nibble-ed, Kodo and Bud