From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Feb 2001 16:04:57 -0800
To the anonymous poster who is displeased with Ferrets Anonymous.  Please
don't get too down on them!  They are doing their best considering ferrets
are ILLEGAL in California.  People have gone to jail for being too trusting
of others as ferrets are concerned.  As I have been a contact person in my
area for them in the past, whenever someone called looking for a shelter or
breeder in this state I have been very cautious and mostly suggested going
out of state.  This is in fact what you probably will have to do unless you
start getting involved with a local group and come to meetings as Carie
suggested the other day in her post (she made some good points)!

All of the groups here in CA need all the help they can get if we want to
someday see ferrets become legal!  Plus... when you get to know other
ferret people in your area they will be more likely to trust that you are
not a Fish and Game "spy".  As for out of state shelters there is the
Pacific Ferret Shelter Network ( http://www.ferretnet.org/ ) in Oregon (my
guys came from there) and I am sure there are many others to the east that
have plenty of wonderful ferrets looking for homes.  Also the FA website
has routes to take to avoid most of those pesky agriculture checkpoints
(not that they are that hard to "run" if you are discreet about it).
Unfortuatly going out of state is often the way it has to be done.

On another note, to the person who was inquiring about the enzyme dosage.
I was advised by my vet that just a small pinch at each "feeding" was
adequate for my cat.  If you put too much in the ferrets may not want to
eat their food so start with an even smaller pinch if this seems to be the
case.  Hopefully they won't even notice but sometimes they get picky if
you fool with their food too much!  Jeez, you think they would like the
variety!!  Plus if you can get them to eat a raw meat diet then you don't
need the added enzymes at all and it's much better for them!  Good luck
and here's to their good health!

By the way John Goodman I'm sure had previous experience with ferrets when
he was filming The Big Lebowski.  A movie that I highly recomend for its
wierd surreal strangeness.  The ferret scene is when "The Dude" is in the
bathtub and these Germans burst in with a ferret which they throw into the
tub to "attack" The Dude.  The ferret of course looks horrified at being
dunked in the water rather than being menacing and they also don't refer
to it as a ferret either but fert people have sharp eyes!  They also later
make a veiled reference to them being illegal.  But it is just another
strange thing about that movie.

Peace, Sadie

"... and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started
and to know the place for the first time." -T.S.  Eliot

"But we cannot reshape consciousness by force or through fear, for to do
so would only reinforce what we are trying to change.  We must bring about
change through nonviolence, physical and spiritual.  We are called to take
a radical leap of faith, to believe that people, given the opening to dream
of new possibilities, with tools and visions will create a living future."

- Starhawk from The Spiral Dance