From:
Jaime Wolf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Feb 2001 23:02:10 -0800
I am very very disappointed to see that it has come to this.  I think that
Dr. Williams was, for most of us, the most knowledgeable professional we'll
*ever* come in contact with in regards to our ferrets.  Does anyone realize
what kind of time he put into answering all of our questions and how much
in professional fees that kind of advice would otherwise cost us?  And now
it has been ruined for everyone because of a few bad apples.

I have been tempted to write so many times in the past year because I have
gotten so angry reading some of the posts here.  But I figured that it
would only prolong the discussion and negativity, so I have kept my mouth
shut.  I have gotten to the point with this list that I hardly read
anything anymore except for Dr. Williams' posts.  His posts, help and
advice were the kinds of things I joined this list to have access to.
That and every other ferret owner's wisdom and support.  I thought that
was the purpose of this list.

I joined the list to get support and help from other ferret owners, share
knowledge and laughs.  Within a few months of joining, after one of my
first posts, I got flamed myself.  I guess no one's safe here.  I have come
close to unsubscribing so many times, but there are enough good people and
good quality information here that I've stayed.  It's very sad how out of
hand things have gotten and how a few people feel the need to accuse,
blame, and otherwise slander each other in a public forum.  You are
seriously deluding yourselves if you think that the rest of us have the
time, desire, or stomach to read this trash.  i feel sorry for you.

I do not understand the hostility and childishness that is in these
people's posts- I thought we were all adults here, but I am proven wrong
time and again.  I really have no desire to see this unpleasantness-- and
I'm sure most everyone else here shares that sentiment-- I guess the only
people who don't know this are the ones who send those horrible posts.
Where do these people find the time and where do they dredge up all their
hostility from to write these long, involved posts that serve no purpose
but to stir up bad feelings?

I really feel that if these posters had something worthwhile to say, and
that they were reasonable, intelligent people and understood the purpose
of the FML, that they'd send them directly to their audience (or should I
say "target"?) rather than to us all.  But obviously this kind of person
isn't satisfied with just delivering a message- they feel the need to make
it a public statement to humiliate or provoke their victims.

I can hardly blame the moderator (and I don't mean to, Bill)-- I'm sure
he has enough to do without trying to censor every post.  But sometimes I
really wish for censorship here...

What a shame and terrible waste for the rest of us that Dr. Williams has
been driven away.  I hope it was worth it for those of you who just can't
help yourselves from posting the kind of things that have provoked and
contributed to this happening.  To those few: please, please go start your
own list somewhere where you can intimidate and put each other down so the
rest of us don't have to suffer through more of this or worse, lose more
members who actually make valuable contributions.

Jaime Wolf