From:
Robert Pierangeli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 21:25:40 -0500
Hi my name is Rob and I have 3 ferrets 2 males and 1 female all between 2.5
and 3 years old.  Everything was normal until I came home from work this
evening to let the ferrets out of their cage to play, when Sam (a live
wire), dragged himself out of the cage and laid down.  He was too weak to
make it to the litter box without my help God knows he tried.  He seems to
have lost control of his hind legs.  He is also very "spacey" which I have
never witnessed before.  When he would not respond to my voice or even
take a raisin (his favorite treat) I called the vet.  She checked him out
and took a blood sugar reading (124) she said ferrets showing signs of
insulinoma would have a sugar level of 60 or below so she is leaning away
from that.  We gave him some Karo syrup just in case, but he is still
completely out of it.

Regardless of the problem, the vet seemed to be against any type of surgery
and also didn't seem to know too much about prednisone and its uses.  Any
thoughts on what is happening to Sam would be greatly appreciated.  Also, I
may need to find a more ferret knowledgeable vet in the Worcester/Boston,
Massachusetts area, so anyone who knows a good vet please let me know.

Thank you all for your help as it has been very useful in the past.  My
e-mail address is [log in to unmask]