From:
Sue Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Feb 2001 13:44:54 -0600
Though I would give you a "rational" update on Jonesy.  Vet removed 3 large
insulinoma tumors from the pancreas and said the adrenals were of normal
size without any visible tumors.  Where is the adreanal disease?  Spent
the night with Jonesy wrapped in towels and blankets and on a heating pad.
Around 4am he "swam" himself off the heating pad area.  Went back to Vet #1
this morning.  She is not real happy about the stitches he has now..says
he will be encouraged to bite them.  She is probably correct.  Put a tummy
wrap on him for the above reason.  Strangely enough, he seems MUCH more
comfortable with it on.  Probably gives him support.  The incision on his
tummy looks much better than the first one.  Inflammation is down and there
is minimal bruising as of now.  She gave him an injection of cortisone and
antibiotic.  His blood sugar is down to 73 (was 167 after surgery).  She
questioned me about the course of events..what was said, etc.  Seemed
relieved to hear it was omentum and not intestine that had come out.  He
still refuses to eat even when I force feed (he just spits it out!).  He
is drinking water when I hold him over the bowl..otherwise he hasn't the
energy to go to it.  His stool is dark black and slimy and of very small
amount.  He did manage to "stand up" on his feet while I was at vets..here
he just wants to "swim" to move.  His eyes are a little brighter right now.

We are to go back to the vet on Wed.  for another Blood sugar and check up.
We will go sooner if we need to.

I had given serious thought to going to Vet #2 after last night, but I do
like this vet (vet #1 who did the surgery) and think I will give her a
chance.  She does seem very knowledgeable and seems to be very good and
caring as well.  I guess everyone can goof.  Who knows if this was a
mistake..probably just the stitch came unknotted..could happen to any vet
right?  She isn't going to reimburse me for the second emergency surgery,
but post op care for the next few visits are now free..even the blood
sugar tests, shots and medicines.

I am going to resume giving him his Prednisone tonight and add his
ciprofloxin.  Hopefully he will start eating by then.  I really hate to
give Pred on an empty stomach.

My Jonesy never seems to do anything easily.  He is allergic to distemper
vaccine and rabies vaccine and had a reaction that resulted in CPR on the
way back to the vet a couple years ago.  Now, his surgical post op course
took on an emergency nature!  I am sure that I will be able to look back
at the horror of yesterday and even be able to laugh about it SOME DAY.

I know we are not out of the woods yet, and face possible pertionitis, but
things definately look brighter this afternoon.  I am keeping him in a
"sick cage" for a few days.  That way I can watch all his functions..poop,
pee, eating and drinking and prevent the others from accidently stepping on
him.  Also, don't really want him climbing right now (or should I say in
the next few days).  I have turned off the heating pad..he seems very warm
to the touch and he has enough blankets to go into to get warm.  I will
continue to hover over him like any one of us would do.  My work called
today and wanted me to come in extra and they don't seem to understand that
I won't leave my sick ferret.  After all, it is just a ferret!  Boy did
they get a lecture!  Us ferret mommies and daddies are really unique.

I am positive that the prayers and thoughts of all of you has helped bring
him this far.  Thank you all and please keep Jonesy in your prayers for a
while longer.

Sue and Jonesy