From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 13:01:51 -0500
Anonymous wrote:
>For Pete's sake, DON'T put SUPERGLUE on a wound!!!!  No one in their right
>mind would tell you to do that.  It's a toxic chemical for open wounds and
>will get into the bloodstream.  Would you do that to a person?!?  It will
>just be painful, messy and cause further infection.

I mentioned glue recently, though if the poster thought I meant that the
vet or we put on super glue I just can't figure out HOW the person could
think that.  There are special glues for closing wounds, and I expect some
poster along the line in this topic thread was unaware of that.  Because
Seven had already removed one stitch and bothered others the incision was
fortified with surgical glue by the vet.  That held, whereas a new
stitching would have meant anesthesia two days in a row and she'd likely
have removed those, too.  The surgical glue goes on blue, but I can tell
you from observing Seven that it turns white it is messed with by the
ferret.  Did someone else mention glue?  Must have, I guess, if people read
straight.  On the other hand, if there was a misreading and that mistake
arose from invalid interpretations of my posts which don't mesh with what
was actually written then go back and look more carefully at the mention
that Seven behaved herself wonderfully, lying in my hands while the vet
used the surgical glue.  It has turned out to be a WONDERFUL thing to help
when one is a stitch remover, and worth remembering as a repair option in
such situations.

Not bad having the topic come up again -- means that people may recall
better if they encounter ferrets who open incisions or who have wounds
large enough to need closing, though not necessarily with stitches.  (Heck,
with humans there is a new approach in testing in which a zipper on a
see-through medium is glued around the wound then zipped up tight during
healing.  Many ways exist to close some wounds.)