From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 08:42:44 -0500
Dear Julie:
>I have a concern regarding the removal of a ferret's spleen.  I would
>really appreciate hearing from all those FMLers whose beloved fuzzbutts
>had to have surgery to remove their spleen.  What were the signs preceding
>this type of surgery?  What complications occurred after the removal, if
>any?  How was the fuzzy's quality of life and length of life after the
>surgery?  Any other information would be very beneficial at this point.

Teh most common pre-surgical presentation for ferrets requiring splenectomy
is the presenceof a large spleen, lethargy, and anorexia.  Large spleens
tend to push other organs, estpecially the GI tract around, it it tends to
hve an overall debilitating effect on the ferret.  Imagine if your spleen
was forty pounds!

The surgery is not all that difficult, and complications are not common.
Because large spleens are usually the result of some chronic smouldering
infection, I generally counsel to eliminate the possibility of an other,
more treatable disease, but if one is not found, and the animal is not
doing well, the spleen may be removed.  Usually most ferets show marked
improvement within a matter of days.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, dVM