From:
Millie Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 2001 08:32:28 -0800
Seems like we just get over hearing about one emergency in the FML when
another arrives.

Dallas, Texas, here.  Someone dumped 18 ferrets in front of a home.  She
has 22 of her own, all she could do was call our shelter which has over a
dozen permanent residents plus many other permanents fostered out (those
too old with too many medical problems to adopt).  The shelter was already
appealing to our club for help before this.  The club had done what it
could but is not financially able to absorb all these expenses.  It is
drained.  There are 44 ferrets involved at the shelter at this time, and
the mom has already gotten behind in house payment and car payments to
where she can't keep going.  But most of all she has to deal with the needs
of these 44 right now - food, supplies, physical, medical and financial
help.  Of the 18 dropped off, only 6 are adoptable yet they need to be
tested before they can be released.  All of them have been given their
shots, the rest are in various stages of adrenal, 12 needed surgery.  Some
have now had it, these naked little creatures of various ages, three were
so bad they were not awaken, yet it cost the same.  The vets are doing
these at a very very good discount but when you already have a big debt
for homeless ferrets before hand, it's overwhelming, especially in face of
not being able to find homes till they put hair back on.  They all need to
be tested for ADV before leaving.

We have no other shelter in this area and we are heavy populated with
ferrets, the city pounds all around calling in found ferrets.  We have no
one else who can deal with it.  Soon to save herself she is going to have
to do something.  Right now she needs help with these 44.

Food is the MOST important.  So very important.  Supplies, papertowels,
disinfectants, etc., very much needed.  The bills run up at the vet are
important too.  So very important is additional funds for testing to where
maybe adopting the six out will help with current expenses.  And then
homes, for the elderly and the ones who have had their adrenal surgery.
Call them fosters, call them free ferrets, call them whatever but they
need a GOOD home to take part of the burden off of what to do with them.
They have no where else to go.  This is truly a desperate situation.

You can write Kym direct, [log in to unmask] Even an encouraging word
for her is needed - you know how it is when it seems everywhere you turn
its another problem and no one cares but you.

Her web site is www.ferretrescue.org
The two vets are listed if you can make a donation.  There is a member of
our club who, through her job, can get equal contributions.  Kym has more
details.

Won't you please help in whatever way you can, just to get things over this
hump.  18 - 44 little ferrets may not sound like much but its like the man
throwing the starfish back into the sea - to that one, it does matter.

Millie and her Hazardous Exploding Drinking it up CLeaningcrew