From:
"Bruce Williams, DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Jan 2001 20:42:44 -0500
Dear Furtulsa:
>The gross opening is his anus.  It is about 1.25 inches in diameter.  The
>area is red but not inflamed, wet and gooey but not pus.  He has fairly
>normal, although soft stools but has no muscle/bowel control over them at
>all... it just sort of "falls out" as it happens.  The area itself is sore
>and tender but he is otherwise in no pain or discomfort and no fever.
>The owner said it has been like this "a while" but could not give any
>approximate of time frame nor cause.

I've never seen one like this.  My first thoughts would be a descenting
gone wrong (although you said that he had not been descented) or the
product of prolonged rectal prolapse with necrosis of the prolapse and
second intention healing.  It does not appear to be the result any type
of tumor.  Of course, the images are pretty small and a bit out of focus.

I am not hopeful that this one is reparable.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, dVM