From:
Mia & Patrick Emery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 10:52:16 -0800
Hi,
First let me say that your story about the poor fuzzie in the plastic ball
is a heartwrenching one.  I have had fuzzies brought into me in all sorts
of conditions, however most have been pet store ferrets.

A responsible breeder/shelter carefully screens and educates all potential
new owners.  A shelter ferret should never be bred, as if they haven't had
enough stress in their poor little lives.

On the subject of spay/neuter however that tends to be a hot subject.  Here
at The Covenstead House All ferrets are sold on a spay/neuter contract to
fix at 6 months or as soon as a jill shows signs of estrus.  I believe that
early fixing interferes with normal growth and can contribute to future
illness.  For the same reasons we do not descent.  New owners are taught
how to tell if their jills are going into season and all new families are
monitered by phone or internet until proof of fixing is recieved.We advise
all internet subscribers to join this list and make it clear that we are
available for 'troubleshooting'.  Our contract makes it very clear that any
unwanted ferret must be returned to us and any new home is to be screened
by us before the fuzzie is moved.

We do the best we can,
Mia Emery