Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 00:36:11 -0800
I've been reading the FML for some months now and find a wealth of valuable
information here and for that I would like to thank many of you .

After these many months I've decided to introduce myself and my "furchins".
My name is Diddy and I am from Plymouth, Massachusetts.  Now the kids.
First there's PeeWee.  He's a 4 year old MF sable.  He's my serious one and
he'll only allow himself to be held or give kisses if the others aren't
looking.  Next, there's Scooter.  He's 3, MF and a warm little brown color.
He'll give kisses freely no matter who's around.  Extra's if he thinks
there's a treat in it for him.

And then there's Merlin.  ( A year old MF, cinnamon)  How can I describe
Merlin?  A whirlwind?  A mini carpet cyclone?  He is the most active
critter I have ever come across.  He never hits the same spot twice in one
day twice.  I also have two cats (17 and 10) and a two year old dog and he
terrorizes all of them and he thinks that's great fun.

I got my first ferret totally by accident.  I was in the pet store one day
and I overhear the "gentleman" next to me saying " the damn thing stinks
and I'm going to dump it in the woods because the pound is closed".  I
don't know what made me speak up so quickly but I said I would take it
thinking I would bring it to the pound myself in the morning when it
opened.

I followed him out to his car, thinking it was a cat or a dog.  Boy, was I
in for a surprise.  It was the first time I had ever seen a ferret other
than in a book.  I transferred the cage into my car (holding my nose) and
headed for home.

The first order of business was a bath and a thorough cage cleaning.  I
didn't really fall in love till after her bath and she snuggled gratefully
in my sweater.  I let her loose and she taught me all about ferret
proofing.  Problems arose later when I tried to find a ferret knowledgeable
vet.  I went through 3 and still couldn't get a diagnosis of what was wrong
with her.  She died 8 months later and I still don't know from what.  After
reading the FML all these many months I think it may have been insulinoma.
I got her one month before ferrets were legal in Mass so it was hard
finding a vet that was aware of their health problems.  Things have change
dramatically since then.

Sandee, if you could check on Maggie Mae I would be ever so grateful.
Please tell her I still miss her and she will always hold a very special
place in my heart.  Also please tell her that I am so sorry for all the
mistakes I may have made and for not being able to help her.