From:
Kimberly Latas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 2001 21:21:36 -0600
Hi folks! Its been a long time...

I'd been a subscriber about 2 years ago when my husband brought home a
rescue ferret one day and we needed fast information and help on how to
raise one.

What we got at the time was good information about ferrets, ferret
symposiums and gatherings, ferret illnesses and the like.  Stuff we
needed to know.

But a problem was, that all the good nuggets were tucked in with a lot of
chaff.  *I'm not going to step into a wall of flame by describing such
chaff~ you all know what you think it is!*

We had our "Weasel" for a year before he died of a urinary tract blockage
which our vet said couldn't be treated; at least not around here in Iowa,
and he was the only vet in miles with any experience with Ferrets so we
took him at his recommendation and put Weasel down.

Now, after a long time missing the antics and fun of a pet ferret, my
husband wants another one, so, as a first step, we resubscribed to the
FML hoping to find any NEW information we might need~ Those 'good nuggets'
I was speaking of~

Haven't really found many, folks~  I wish this list was jam packed with
legislative information!  health articles!  or links to informative
websites!  I wish it had full names addresses and phone numbers and of
Shelter owners and breeders so I won't be forced to purchase my new
addition from some chain store that has no information about the animals
they sell... I also wish we would all sign what we write with our full
contact e-mail and name information so IF someone wants to write back and
forth they can do so privately.  I wish the list were more 'nuggets' and
less chaff.

I also wish to ask for help from all of you... I live about 4 hrs S of
Minneapolis MN.  I live 90 minutes E of Sioux Falls SD, and I'm about 3
hrs N of Omaha NE.  Is there ANYONE in that rough geographic area who is
a private breeder or shelter owner who might be willing to sell me a kit?
I'm looking for a sable or champagne colored female.  Neutered.  in the
8-10 week age range.  I have about $125.  to spend and yes, I'm willing
to submit to 'inspection' if necessary to ensure I will provide a proper
home... what I don't have is a knowledgable vet in the area, so I'd like to
start with a baby who's in excellent health and has heredity on it's side~
I'm not interested in showing it at shows, just loving it at home... Anyone
know anyone I can contact?  Anyone want to contact me?  Thanks in
advance...

Kimberly Latas
Spirit Lake IA
e mail:  [log in to unmask]

[Moderator's note: I've forwarded the latest SOS Shelter list to Kimberly.
Note the e-mail address in each post *is* the correct e-mail address.  They
are all verified.  Welcome back, I hope you and the perfect ferret find
each other soon.  BIG]