From:
Melissa Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 2001 08:22:45 -0800
Thanks Renee,

Thanks for the suggestion.  Acutally, when I began compiling, I simply
started by making 'favorites' links, available offline, of all the posts.
I hadn't yet decided what I was going to do.  And Word was such a limited
scope.  I hadn't put ANYTHING into Word yet when I decided to go about
things differently.  I made myself a nice little Access database to record
the info, and once completed, I will just use the database as a source.

I have received numerous offers for help with duplication.  (Thanks to
Rick, Harry, and Laura.) Between them, I think the material costs of this
project will be reduced to almost zero.  More money for the fundraisers!!

FYI, the CD-Rom will be done in html format.  It will be used just like
a website online, but will not require the user to be connected to the
internet.  Instructions for use will be included, of course.  I believe
this has a much more broad spectrum of usablility.  Anyone who has an
internet browser will be able to use it.  It won't matter which browser.
I'm not sure if I create a copy of a disk using a PC, if it will be
formatted for Mac users.  (I know floppy disks aren't, but I have never
looked into the compatability of CD-Roms, because I just don't like Macs,
and never use them, nor do I really know anyone who does.)  So, anyone who
might have suggestions regarding that, please contact me.  And of course,
for anyone who can't use the CD, there is always the printed version.

Last night I sat down and really started compiling heavily, into my Access
database, and have finished 1993.  That includes all posts made by Dr.
Williams, and any original posts by other FMLers who prompted the responses
from Dr. Williams.  1993 has 84 different posts in all.  I know that seems
like much less than 1/3, but half the work was just finding all the months
he posted.  Take into account that he was gone for long stretches of time
later on in the life of the FML, and I am doing quite well.  It took me
about 3 hours to do 1993, and I anticipate another 12-15 hours to get all
the info into one place and organized.  Once that is through, several hours
apeice for the two different distribution formats to be ready for
duplication, and we will be on our way!!

Melissa Barnes

[Moderator's note: A Mac should have no problem with the CD.  Floppy
disks should be fine too, by the way (well, for Macs which have floppy
disk drives, that is).  BIG]