From:
"Bruce Williams, DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 21:49:09 -0500
Dear Jenny:
>My ferret Abby, 1lb. 8oz. at last weighing, has had diarreah since
>Dec.22,2000.... The vet started her on Prednisone 2x a day for 7 days,
>then 1x a day for 7 days, then once every other day for 7 days.  I don't
>remember the dosage.  I didn't notice any significant difference in her
>stool.

>Next the vet put her on Bene-Bac pet gel starting Jan.  20, 1gm 2x a day
>for 3 days, then 1gm once a day for 2 days.  That didn't help.

>Now the vet started her on Metronidazole Jan.25.  I'm giving her 0.5ml
>once a day for 14 days.  I've given it for 12 days now and don't notice
>any significant difference yet.

Well, this is a stumper.  While I usually don't agree with going from
medication to medication in hope of a cure, it also sounds like your vet
has hit many of the stops along the way - multiple fecal samples, careful
adbominal palpation, etc.

Has any bloodwork been performed?  Any radiographs - I don't think that we
have really ruled out the possibility of a foreign body here, which can
result in intermittent diarrhea.  Also, since your sister had her, can
you inquire as to what she was eating before and was there any evidence
of intermittent diarrhea before she came to your house?

Unfortunately there are no quick answers here, especially in these somewhat
borderline cases with only a couple bad stools today and little other signs
of ill health.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, dVM