From:
daphne reddy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 21:31:46 -0500
Hello all, I was hoping someone might be able to lend some insight on a
problem with my ferret girl Minx.  She is a almost 6 year old who has
lately developed a coughing, wheezing, breathing problem.  It is not always
there, and it is worse when she first wakes up.  She had a check up 2 weeks
ago, because of this, and my vet could hear no problems at the time.  She
prescribed an antibiotic just in case(lincocin), and we also checked her
blood suger levels which was normal.

Minx is eating well, pooping fairly well, although I have seen a couple
of loose stools, and one night her rectum looked a bit protruding and raw.
She is very active, no grinding teeth or pawing at her mouth.  It is just
that her breathing sounds like it is hitching, and wheezing, with some
possible choking/coughing thrown in.  I have been giving her hairball meds
just in case it could help if a minor blockage was present.

I am taking her to the vet again on Mon. but would like suggestions as to
anything to look for.  As of right now my vet is planning on an X-ray to
check out her chest, but I don't want to miss doing something that could
help my baby.  The other thing we would like to try is a full blood work
up, but no one can get enough blood out of her.  3 different vets have
tried, but even though they succeed with all my others none can get blood
out of my Minx.

Which leads to one more question, I remember a discussion a while back
about cutting a nail to get enough blood for a test, I know it became a
heated discussion, and I hate bringing it back up, but want to make sure
that if a blood sample is needed, it can be gotten.  If you have had
success at this method wouls you please refresh my memory so I can explain
it to my vet, and if you have a problem with it let me know too, I want
what is best for her in the long run but do not want to hurt her
needlessly.

Thank you so much for any help you can provide, I don't want to turn this
into a big arguement on the FML so feel free to e-mail me privately, if
you want to criticize my question.

Thanks, Daphne, Minx, and all her brothers who just want a quiet nights
sleep without being woken up by all the wheezing. ;)