From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 20:10:41 -0800
I'm not quite sure what started the conversation but I thought I would add
my two cents.  I also have a ferret who had a double adrenalectomy done by
a highly regarded ferret vet that most of you know of.  Virtually all of
her adrenal tissue was removed and she had a partial ligation of her vena
cava.  As Dr. Williams said, she is on hormone replacements to help her
out which includes .025cc of 5mg/ml prednisone suspension daily and a
pericortin injection every 6-9 weeks (we discovered she needed the
injection early on when she had severe weight loss).  It has been nearly
two years since the surgery (she also had 1/3 of her pancreas removed at
the time for insulinoma) and she is doing wonderfully well.  In fact, she
looks the best she has ever looked (she is 5 years old) and her blood
tests have all been great.

I'm certainly not suggesting that anyone jump to such drastic measures,
but it can work if needed:)

J.