Date:
Sat, 13 Jan 2001 11:01:37 -0500
Dear Ferret People -

You folks have been VERY helpful and supportive.  Now i have another
question.

I have 2 ferrets who are about 2 weeks into a case of ECE (which i brought
home to them after playing with kits in a pet store, grr).  Ramone got sick
first, with bloody diarrhea.  After a few doses of medication he seemed to
improve greatly.  His appetite was depressed, but he was very pudgy, & i
wasnt too worried if he didn't eat much.

I was more worried about the smaller ferret, Chloe, who by the end of last
week was down to skin and bones.  Well, hallelujah, she started eating on
her own a day or 2 ago, & i think we are on the road to recovery.

Meanwhile, tho, Ramone has totally given up on food.  He drinks water and
will take nutrical and ferretone.  That's it.  I've been syringe feeding
him watered down chicken babyfood & he acts like I'm killing him.  He is
still somewhat energetic and doesn't look emaciated - but he's lost almost
all his pudge so he doesn't have much more reserves.

Should I conjecture that he has a mouth or stomach ulcer?  (I haven't found
any tarry stools.) He did an odd thing like smacking his lips after eating
nutrical - is that teeth grinding?  or just getting the sticky stuff off
the roof of his mouth?

Do you think I should put him back on carafate?  Some people recommended
Pepcid AC - would that be instead or in addition?  Etc.

Thank you thank you for your help

---sharin