From:
Sandra King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2000 14:32:02 EST
I recently adopted a ferret of unknown age and history (rumor of abuse by a
3rd or 4th party).  He had an adrenalectomy about a month ago (discovering
a hydronephrotic left kidney; hair growing in nicely).  I was hoping that
his dribbling urine was due to the adrenal tumor, but it would appear that
this is not the case.  He does not *seep* urine anymore, but he apparently
does not know when he has to go.  He poops and pees wherever he is and
whatever he is doing (including sleeping).  The *only* reason I think he
ever gets it in the litter box is because he eats while standing in it.
He's a little wobbly and he walks funny, primarily in the back legs.  I'm
wondering if the abuse rumor is true, and if so--is there a way to help him
if there has been damage to the nerves?  Also, would this problem lead to
bouts of diarrhea?  The diarrhea is seedy when it occurs.  He is always
active and has never been off his food, but has bouts of diarrhea,
sometimes explosive.  He's was on Amoxi for a week , and Sulfatrim was
for two weeks.  During both courses, he would oscillate between normal
and runny poops.  Kaopectate does not help.  Is this something that he is
going to have to live with for the rest of his cute, little life?