From:
Melissa Furash <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Nov 2000 00:32:46 EST
I'm sorry there has been no responses to Lisette's claim that vets don't
wash prior to exams.... Perhaps, if you are concerned about your vet's
practices you should address this with him or her.  I have worked for vets
for many years and I can tell you that they DO wash.  Maybe not right in
front of you...is there a sink in the exam room?  Ours is behind the exam
rooms so they wash after each patient.  The rooms are swept and sprayed
with a parvosol-like solution after EACH patient.  If an animal comes in
with a highly contagious disease that room is not used for another animal
that could catch the disease even after sanitation...for examply a dog with
distemper...we would not put any dogs or ferrets in that room but cats or
lizards would be ok.

The technicians also wash after handling the animals...the front of the
hospital is also sanitized when highly contagious animals come in.  You
would be surprised the number of owners that will KNOWINGLY place their
puppy with parvo or cat with leukemia on the floor or counter instead of
holding them.  If you are concerned with your vet's hygiene discuss it
with them, you may be surprised or you may find you are correct in which
case get another vet immedieately.

Melissa