Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 17 Feb 2001 14:51:27 -0500
From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
I have to agree with Bruce that criticisms of others which are done
anonymously are probably asking for trouble.

Bill has to find an exceedingly difficult balance.  That the FML is so
successful, and has been for so very long (14 years), with such a huge
number of people (the size of many towns -- over 3,000 members) shows that
for the most part the balance is there.  I do agree, though, that anonymous
attacks or anonymous insults truly cross the line.  We all learn through
experience, and that is natural and expected.  We're each only human here.

Even though I know that Bruce and I will still chat, I'll miss him here.

>In short, I feel the time Dr. Williams has given us is a gift we all
>should appreciate.  This is not a time to complain about his decision, but,
>rather, a time to thank him for all he has done and continues to do.  BIG]

Yes, the gifts of time, experience, concern, and aid are more precious than
any jewels.

I also applaud Sam for doing the right thing.

Soapbox warning on: I worry that it would be unfair to expect Bill to have
to become a censor and walk such an uncomfortable line, esp. on top of
the incredible amount of work he does for all of us day in and day out.
Sometimes he has no choice except to block posts, of course, but perhaps
what is needed MOST at this time is increased self-control and maturity
from all individual posters.  That seems to be the most reasonable result
one could desire.  Each of us is only human and we all know what our feet
taste like (Foot in Mouth Disease), but in this cabin-fever season perhaps
we need to hold our notes a bit longer and rewrite a bit more, editing
ourselves more carefully.  Soapbox warning off.

I also hope that "Anonymous" will own up and apologize since there was a
clear wrong.  It would simply be the right thing to do.  I am busy trying
right now to help a young niece who has trouble well beyond the norm with
social skills, and this is one of the skills she needs.  It's important,
like saying "thanks", listening, and learning, and so much else.  Besides,
acknowledgement lets a person move on and improve and that is largely what
life is for, so I do hope that person says "Sorry.".

On a lighter note since many will need a smile right now Steve has coined a
new word for the fishing poles "mousies" we have and the way ferrets play
with them: "Shake and Break"!