Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 10:34:31 -0500
From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
To the FML -

This is my last post to the FML - there is probably not much to learn from
it, but hopefully some people will take note.

Over the last few days, it has become harder and harder to get through the
FML, and today, the FML has left me with such a feeling of disgust at some
of its participants that I no longer desire to read it in the future.  This
in no way reflects my feelings about the vast majority of the people that
are on the FML, or my enduring love for this species.

However, for me, the FML is no longer a happy place (although there are so
many people who try to make it so, and of course, BIG, who is one of the
greatest guys on the planet.)

Why not?  Let me give three quick examples: Today we have a lawsuit that
at worst threatens to embroil the FML in the litigation, and at best has
divided the participants up into camps supporting one side or another.
This is simply the logical extension of the continued personal arguments
and attacks on various shelters and rescuers that have become so common
on the FML.

Today we have a message from an anonymous poster to "Sam", who on the
eve of her wedding, decided to walk into the lion's den to assume
responsibility for the possibility of exporting some ADV-exposed animals.
This took a tremendous amount of courage in a time where personal
accountability is in short supply.  I applaud her and all those who rallied
around her.  But of course, there is an anonymous poster who decided to
take her to task, which to me is the highest form of cowardice.  A snippet:

>Also I think Sam should be more worried about the Alutians that she
>caused here in the US and not so concerned with her wedding plans,
>like she thinks its not important.

Anyone who could read this sentiment and not be revolted is a source of
amazement to me.  Anonymous postings in this vein are not uncommon on the
FML, and I have commented on them before.  Such people hide behind the fact
that they live in non-ferret-friendly areas in order to cloak themselves in
anonymity, but in truth, it just makes it easier for them to spread their
message of hate and intolerance.  Such people mask their true intentions
by purporting to be "worried only about the ferrets", but in truth simply
wish to make up for some deficiency in their own existence by making life
miserable for others.  This behavior serves no purpose, and only damages
the entire community.

Finally, there are few people that I know who have not received hate email
as a result of posting on the FML.  I have had my share, to what end I am
not sure.  Much is anonymous, but even the ones that I could reply to are
not worth my time.  I am sorry Danielle, that in your time of difficulty,
there are those who would wish to compound it.  You are certainly not
alone, and my thoughts go out to you today as well.  You are correct in
that "life is too shot" and that is especially applicable in my action
today.  But it's really not what I see off the FML that is a problem,
it's what I see ON the FML.

These are only a few examples from the last few days.  Anyone that reads
the FML can probably add many more to the list.

To my many friends on the FML, I will not vanish from the Internet - I will
still be around (maybe I'll see where Bob C went.)  My email addresses will
still be open, and I will continue to try to answer as many as possible.  I
will find a suitable outlet for my information and pertinent replies, which
is accessible by all.

BIG, you have done a great job with the FML, and it has been a wonderful
service for the ferret community.  You have acted with great restraint as
a moderator, and can only be commended.  But the FML must be more than
alt.pets.ferrets and I think at this point, it needs your strong hand and
sage wisdom to put it back on course.  My friend, I am hopeful that as
moderator, you will be able to take action to eliminate the troubles from
the FML which in my opinion, threaten its very existence.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP

Please unsubscribe.

[Moderator's note: I've written Dr. Williams a pretty long note containing
my overall observations about his allegations and his decision.  And, no,
I was not a note written in anger.

In short, I feel the time Dr. Williams has given us is a gift we all should
appreciate.  This is not a time to complain about his decision, but,
rather, a time to thank him for all he has done and continues to do.  BIG]