Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 10 Feb 2001 03:43:15 -0500
From:
Christopher Bennett <[log in to unmask]>
Amanda wrote:
>Excuse me please!  I am getting quite tired of all the judging of me that
>is going on here!  Do you people think this is easy for me to give him up?
>I and not asking for money for my profit!  I agree that too many people
>get a pet without fully considering it and I feel that that is a LOT more
>common in people who get their animals for free.

I haven't followed this thread prior to yesterday when I saw something from
someone about give the ferret away.  I don't know why Amanda is looking for
a new home for her fuzzbutt(s), and I don't think it is any of my business
anyway.  I don't live in her home or walk in her shoes, so I am going to
assume that for some reason or reasons she feels the fert will be better
off elsewhere and I am sure that decision is breaking her heart.

On a subject I do feel I can have an opinion on though is selling vs giving
the ferret away.  There just can be no hard and fast rule here.  I can
think of 3 people off the top of my head who would think nothing of
spending several hundred on the fuzzbutt and cage because it was neat or
their kid wanted it, and who would be calling me in a few months to come
pick them up and find them a home.  Iguanas, snakes, a puppy, and other
assorted animals have passed through my home to new homes for just this
reason.  At the same time I can think of a very dear single mother who
couldn't scrape up 100.00 for the fuzzbutt, but would go without to make
sure her son and her iguana have what they need.  If she took in that
ferret, it would want for nothing; love, attention, nutrition and vet care.
On the other hand, "free to good home" seems like an invitation for just
anyone to come get this off my hands.  One can't guarantee the "good home"
portion.  Someone who has nothing invested is very likely going to take
the furkid for granted.  Someone who didn't have to do anything but pick
him/her and the cage up may put a lot less thought into it.  There just is
no 100% right way or wrong way, and no guarantee.

If, god forbid, I had to find a home for my kids due to some catastrophe
in my personal life.  I think I would have to go with a reputable shelter
and trust them to do the placement.  A shelter is more likely to stay in
touch with the adopted parents, do a follow-up at least by phone.  If the
placement doesn't work out, the shelter will normally get the fert back
rather than it showing up in a classified ad in the paper.  I think people
who contact ferret shelters must have done some research.  At least here,
the average person doesn't even know there is such a thing.  The chances of
going to someone who already has a fert or two and who knows what they are
doing seem much higher through a shelter.

All I know for sure, being in Amanda's position would break my heart.  My
heart goes out to her and my prayers go with her fert!!!

Christopher & Crew
http://www.christopher.bennett.org