Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 21:43:57 -0500
From:
"Bruce Williams, DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Dear Kelly:

>My 3yr old female had her left adrenal removed a little over two weeks
>ago.  The tumor was benign.  She has been eating duck soup since the day
>of surgery (her food mixed with chicken babyfood).  She has eaten
>willingly but only if I get her to start by finger feeding.  She refuses
>to eat her kibble although she ate a few pieces the first few days.  I
>thought at first an ulcer was starting so we gave her sulcrafate for a
>couple of days.  No change.  She is not lethargic, but here is the odd
>thing she has gained a lot of weight!!!!  She plays and she is fat!

Fortunately, it doesn't look like there is anything wrong here.  Believe
it or not, some ferrets just take a long time to go back on kibble after
surgery - some ferrets like the TLC.  Without at least some evidence of
ulcers, like tooth grinding, vomiting , or loose stools, I usually don't
institute Carafate or Pepcid.

She does not appear to be sick but I am worried and confused.  We have
been trying pepcid the last three days, No change.  My question is, Is she
spoiled and stubborn or is her right adrenal not working up to par yet?
Will it?  Does she need pred to jump start it?

Don't be in a rush to get her back on kibble - she'll go back on when she
is ready.  She'll do fine for months on the duck soup.  If she's eating
the duck soup fine, there is no need to push any medications into her at
this point.

Don't rush to ascribe problems to the adrenal - she is playing -
hypoadrenal ferrets crash.  Prednisone won't jump start the adrenal.

>My vet thinks she is stubborn and says to not feed her and she will
>eat. (:  Yeah Right!

That's a very bad idea.  Ferrets that have become accustomed to hand
feedings and bland diets often starve themselves when faced with a cold
turkey situation.  Bad call.

>I have let her go as long as 12hrs and she does not give in!  Today she
>has gone that long and I can't take it!  It seems dangerous.  This is
>making me nuts.  I read Dr. Williams article on ferrets and babyfood and
>believe me I have four spoiled ferrets but in my experience over the past
>5yrs my babies have always chosen to eat on their own when they feel
>better.

But not all do.  I don't want to be a pessimist, but some ferrets don't
eventually, but there is no rush here - she feels fine, so don't make
any rapid changes - you can only destabilize her.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, dVM