Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 28 Jan 2001 21:08:08 -0500
From:
"Bruce Williams, DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Dear Bruce:

>Is there a way to test and see if a ferret is in the ECE shedding period
>that is 6 to 9 months after having ECE?

Currently, no.  There is a lot of work that needs to be done on ECE.  The
best we have right now is an antibody that will identify the presence of
the viral molecules in intestinal biopsies - but biopsying every ferret
who is suspected of having ECE is not appropriate, and it is likely that
the longer since active infection, the weaker the reaction (so it may miss
a few, especially in this 6-9 month period.)

This one is a risk for a rescue - but then so are any pet store ferrets.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM