From:
Amy McNamara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 12:52:06 -0600
Sorry for the cross-post. This is from FOB, but Dr. Williams is on the =
FML.

>Subject: Foamy Fries to the Rescue!!!
>From: katharine <[log in to unmask]>
>Dr. Williams suggests switching ferrets to lower protein (TF for Older
>Ferrets and feline maintenance) when they reach about 3 1/2.  Apparently,
>renal failure is very common in ferrets.  I never knew that.

My oldest ferret, Miya, is 3 years old now (BD 2/8/98).  My youngest, Jack,
is 2 years old (BD 12/15/98) and they are housed and play together.  Should
I wait until Jack is closer to 3 before switching the entire crew over
to TF for older ferrets?  They get a mixture of TF, Eukanuba Kitten, &
Superior Choice now.  Would I have to change the other two foods to be
lower in protein too?  Like get Eukanuba Cat for older cats or something?
I was strongly considering trying a raw meat kind of diet (I'm going to
research BARF - Bones And Raw Food?  - when I get the chance) but I'd still
keep kibble available.  Anyone have a BARF type recipe they've had good
luck with?  Or know where I can get the actual BARF recipe?

Also, I got a free sample of "High Hopes" brand cat food from Jewel
(grocery store) yesterday.  It claims to be nutrionally complete (for
cats of course), and costs the same as Iams.  It's very fishy though.
The ingredients are at home, I'll post them if anyone is interested.  I
tossed the sample into a resealable container and gave some to the kids
this morning as "treats" - they were all reluctant (the fishy smell I think
did it).  Jack wouldn't take it even if I placed it in his mouth, Nina took
it willingly, Miya took it when it was placed in her mouth, Rascal took it
reluctantly, Joey took it willingly.  Then again, Jack is a little booger -
he doesn't take anything as a treat except dried fruit (raisins, etc) or
of course Ferretone and Ferretvite.  The food is shaped like TF & Superior
Choice (3-pointed star type shape).  Oh, the company supposedly donates a
portion of their profits to help homeless animals (I doubt ferrets are
included, but that's still cool).

*hugs n' dooks*

Amy & the Renegades of Skunk!

~~~
Visit Miya, Nina, Rascal, Jack, and Joey at their website!
http://www.geocities.com/neenerbean_78