From:
"Bruce Williams, DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 20:13:07 -0500
Dear Tequita:

>Any contacts/resources for getting the drug "laetrile"?

>(I'm sure I didn't spell that correctly... ;-)  )

Yes, you did spell that correctly.

I must have missed something, twice in the last three days someone has
asked about laetrile.  I have heard that this "drug" is making a
resurgence.  Bad idea.

Laetrile is an extract of apricot seeds which was purported to fight cancer
in the 1970's.  The National Cancer Institute tested the drug extensively
and found that it had no anticancer properties, but if used properly, could
induce cyanide toxicity.  Apricots, cherries, and almonds are of the plant
family which seeds and bark contains chemicals that can be processed into
cyanide.

As this drug apparently has little use in anti-cancer treatments, and we
know absolutely nothing about its effects or a safe dosage in ferrets (note
I said safe, not safe and effective), I would strongly caution against
giving any of this compound to your ferrets.

Laetrile is not for ferrets.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, dVM