From:
Candi Gerritson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 2001 10:30:19 EST
June, I just had to share one of the stories I have about animal abuse.  I
am on the board of ACES for animal control.  The other day we were meeting
and discussing recent cases of abuse.  I told them a story ... my at the
time 9 year old daughter Austin Marie was taking her dog outside to go
potty, she noticed at dog at large running towards her so she took her dog
in the house and grabbed the phone to call me.  I am a Community safety
officer for the police.  She was back outside when I got the call from her.
I could tell something horrible was wrong.  She was frantic and I couldn't
understand a word she was saying to me.  I calmed her down and had her
explain slowly.  She told me about the dog running loose, then she noticed
his owner.  The dog came into our yard and the owner was yelling at him to
"come."  The dog wouldn't listen.  So the owner came over grabbed the dog
by the scruff and was punching and kicking the dog all the while scruffing
him and carrying him out of our yard, his feet not even touching the
ground.  Austin was so upset by this that she screamed to this grown man,
"STOP KICKING HIM DON'T DO THAT!" He tells her, "to mind her own business."
She then says, "IM CALLING MY MOM SHE IS A POLICE OFFICER AND YOUR GONNA BE
ARRESTED FOR ANIMAL ABUSE."  With phone in hand she has an argument with a
grown man and wins!  After hearing that, the man then leashes his dog and
runs out of the park.  A description was taken and the man hasn't been
back!  My point is this.... LET'S ALL TEACH OUR CHILDREN ABOUT ANIMAL ABUSE
AND NEGLECT AT A YOUNG AGE.  My children have been taught young and see how
powerful of a statement they make!

Thank you, Candi Gerritson