From:
Cheryl Nordgulen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 12:36:47 -0800
Hello Everyone,
Amidst all the tragedies, of which we ferret owners and shelter operators
experience many, sometimes a little sunshine creeps in.

Tiquer came as a rescue 4 years ago, when she supposedly was about 4 years
old.  She had spent her life in one of the smaller kennel crates, with just
enough room for a litter box, her food and water bowls, one little jingle
ball and one folder 9" x9" blanket.  That was all she had in the world.
She was terribly withdrawn, except with me, and to add to her sadness,
developed cataracts about 2 years ago.  She was never ever able to relate
to the other ferrets, until last night.

Tiquer could not bear to have her cage door closed, and because of her
early life, I didn't close it.  She would rip at it with her teeth if it
was closed.

With the electrical shortage, I have had to turn down the heat again, and
it gets rather chilly at night, and she was sleeping alone.  I noticed
Chipper, my own baby of 7 1/2 years making several attempts to sleep with
Tiquer during the day, with Tiquer rebuffing her overtime.

Imagine my surprise this morning, when I got up and found them cuddled
together.  Chipper always has had Fat Freddie Poo to sleep with, but
somehow she knew Tiquer needed a sleeping partner for warmth.  Perseverance
won through.  How I hugged and kissed them both this morning.  Chipper is
still nice and furry and a bit on the fat side, but Tiquer, even with
supplemental feeding, is losing out to aging, having very little fat on her
body and a shorter, less dense coat.  Miracles do happen.  By the way, they
are only loose in the room that belongs to the ferrets, the living room.

Cheryl Nordgulen and the Critterpen