From:
Marie Schatz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 20:53:30 -0800
Kate - boy did your response get me going.  Not your fault or your problem
but.... Have you ever tried calling around to just ask a question like that
in a similar situation?  I called a bunch of vets all over the southern
half of my state.  I specifically asked - I'm looking for a vet that
doesn't just have a ferret clientele - but someone who has tried to be more
knowledgeable and second - how many adrenal surgies have they done and were
they left or right?  How did they go?  First - the receptionists act like
no one has ever called to ask a question like that.  After minutes of
confusion they usually reply "uhhhhhh yes we see ferrets".  Stop.

The Dr. is always seeing patients and its very hard to get to talk to
them.  Some charge a consult fee.  Several seemed to be impatient that I
was asking for their experience.  Those seemed think 3 or 4 adrenal surgies
were plenty.  (I was looking for more if I could find it).  Then lo and
behold a guy at work chips in, his wife works for a la de da zoo vet who
is "someone" in the exotic field.  He has a companion animal practice.  I
take vacation time to drive an hour one way to go to him.  I have had the
adrenal panel from Tenessee done and its positive.  She has lost hair.
She has been really really itchy and bitchy for some time.  She is 5.  He
doesn't want to do surgery yet.  She's not really sick.  Wait.  I look at
him - isn't it better to do it now while she's a better surgical candidate?
He gave a reply that I can't remember - I think because it was a circular
sort of no sense nothing talk.  Huh?  I hesitate - this guy is someone
right?  I have to trust his experience and creditials.  I ask some more
questions.  I still don't get it - he wants to wait till she's sick.  Not
satisfied with the answers we left - but hey, it wasn't like he was going
to do anything anyway!

I ask my own vet who I use as sort of a "GP" (who knows his limits and was
happy I was looking elsewhere for a surgeon:) "What's up with this guy" 1
He checks with a pharmaceutical rep - who says the guys a bit of an egotist
and likes to be the one to call the shots.  As in he has a tendency to buck
current theory so he can be different or ingenious or something.  You have
got to be careful - with all your pets.

Ok - now I've vented.  My point, such as it is - is that it is NOT EASY to
find ferret knowledeable vets.  Even if they are there it can be hard to
find them.  I ended up going to another "someone" in his field - a surgeon
who specializes in orthopedics.  A quiet humble seeming man he spends most
of his day in surgery that he gets from referrals around the state.  I
don't know where he learned about ferrets but he has a good rep once you
actually plug into it and he did a wonderful job.

Mary
"Animals are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are other
 nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time,"
   Henry Beston