Date:
Sat, 13 Jan 2001 16:44:37 EST
In the news today is a pet sitter I had for my ferrets last year.  She has
been arrested for theft-caught on video---stealing while pet sitting.  She
was found with items stolen that ranged from $15 to $7,500.

How can you protect yourself?

1.  Take photos of your place and jewelry and keep it in a safe place.
    Have home owners insurance that covers your jewelry.

2.  Give jewelry over to your lock box at the bank, or to a trusted member
    of your family, along with any money.

3.  Get 2 locks on your door.  Only give the sitter the key to one.  Tape
    off the other lock so it cannot be used.  Make sure you usually lock
    both locks,

0r...

Change your locks after pet sitter leaves, or..

Use Schlager {sp?} keys that can only be duplicated by your locksmith with
your written permission.

4.  Or-send your ferret to a pet sitter so you won't have to worry about
    someone duplicating your keys and stealing.

The woman caught stealing here had a big incorporated business.  I got her
name on the recommendation of several other people.  Maybe she was not
stealing then.  Maybe she was, but they never noticed anything missing.

Any other common sense precautions are certainly welcomed.
Lisette