From:
"Bruce Williams, DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 20:27:43 -0500
Dear Kim:

>Can anyone help me out?  What do I do to take the weight off?
>Fert-o-suction?  Do you have any possible explanations for why Jerry might
>be so fat?  What, specifically, are the health problems that I should
>watch for that are associated with obesity in ferrets?  He's almost 7
>now and I don't want this to cut his little life short!

Well,.  Kim, as you addressed this one to me, I guess I have to say
something.  The problem is, I'm not sure what.  Obesity is not usually a
problem in ferrets, and although we are sure that in other species, it is
associated with problems, as in humans, dogs and cats, no one has really
looked at the problem in ferrets.  Even large ferrets don't tend to seem
to get orthopedic problems, probably due to their rugged, yet flexible
construction.

Remember that older ferrets often tend to have significant weight shift
which manifest as a shape change - older ferets tend to put on wieght in
the abdomen, and lose muscle mass.  As a result of this, they attain a
classic pear shape.

How do you get them to lose weight, you've got me.  Increase exercise,
decrease treats - good advice, but I've never been able to make it work
in my ferrets.

I'm sure if there is a good ferret diet out there, and you r ferret needs
it, you'll find it on the FML!

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, dVM