From:
April Gallaty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 00:00:33 -0500
Hey everyone...

Has anyone ever thought about doing a penny fund?  You pick a person or
place to give to and then send in the pennies in your pocket.  You can
probably put a handful of pennies in a padded envelope and mail it off
for less than a buck.  It can be a little time consuming with rolling them
and taking them to the bank, but it really adds up with lots of folks
sending in a few here and a few there.  If you're willing to really make
the sacrifice, you could give up the pennies in your change jar and mail
those off in a small box for about $5 or $6 bucks.

We did a penny fund at my church when I was a kid for a family that had
their house burn down.  Everyone in the church would bring in their loose
pennies from home and we had family members mailing in a buck or two in
pennies to help out.  When it was all said and done about one month later,
we had raised over $600.  In pennies, that's not bad.  No one really misses
their pennies.  Not even a small bank of them.

The catch was finding some folks to help roll up pennies.  That can be fun,
however if you have some cokes, some rolling cups, and a few friends to
chat with as you work.

What does everyone think?  I'd be willing to help out in some form.  How
about Judith at S.O.S.?  Would it be too much if you started receiving
tons of change?

Take care and dooks to everyone and their fur babies....

April