From:
Holly Gorrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Jan 2001 15:16:21 EST
>Let's not incriminate the rice or Modern Ferret just yet.  The chances
>are really remote that Giardia cysts could be survive on dried rice

I agree that may not be the cause.  It was just the only possible source
I could find (so far) and the timing was about right (3 weeks).  I REALLY
didn't mean to put down Modern Ferret, and still don't.  Just didn't want
others to have the same problem.

>While I'm not totally discount the possibility of infected rice, we
>still have to explain how one ferret has it while multiple ferrets
>play in the rice box.

Since I never had the other ferret tested, I can't be sure whether or not
he has it.  He did not get very sick like my other ferret.  He did have a
little diahrrea, but I had also given him some petromalt, so I can't say
for sure that the diarrhea was indicative of a problem.  He has been acting
fairly normal.  I am treating him too though, just in case.  One thing that
may be of note, is that my husband did see the sick ferret eat some rice,
while the healthy ferret did not to my knowledge eat any.  Still
circumstantial evidence at best - I know.

>Usually, we get positive proof before publicizing the root of a problem -

Sorry, I did not mean to say that I was certain the rice was the cause
of the problem, just suspicious, and wanted to warn others.  I was also
curious to see what you would have to say about the possibility of
contaminated rice.  Sounds like you don't consider it very likely.  Maybe
I should have sent you a private post before issuing a warning.  Did not
mean to cause widespread panic over nothing.  Hope I haven't.

>There is an easy way to prove your theory - take the rice from your box,
>soak it in warm water for 3 days, and have your vet look at it under the
>microscope for Giardia cysts.

Oops!  Too late, I already threw the rice away because I was paranoid of
further contamination.  So can't do that now.

Since you don't think the rice was the problem, can you think of any other
possibilities?  I really want to avoid further problems if I can.

Thanks,
Holly, Tigger & Pooh