From:
Kim L Adkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 13:38:32 -0500
I've got a little concern about my boys and a cold that I'm fighting.  The
first two days I was fighting this cold (maybe flu) thing, it was really
mild.  I had a very slight sore throat and a little drainage.  I simply
shrugged it off and went about my normal routine, including playing
with/handling the boys.  Now, on day three, I'm feeling really bad and -
LIGHTBULB - did I get the boys sick in the first two days?  My question is
this...what are the early symptoms of a cold or flu in ferrets?  Obviously
I'll keep my eyes open for anything out of the ordinary, but what
specifically should I be looking for?  I feel so bad about this...I even
keep surgical masks around for just this reason!!!  WHY didn't I think to
use them!?!?  Stimy was even soooo cute last night!  I fell asleep watching
TV and woke up to Stimy kisses on my lips!  Awwwwww....He's now a prime
candidate for this cold.

Oh - I've also got an update on Jerry, who had bilateral adrenal surgery
near the end of last year.  He has a full coat again and all behavioral
symptoms have subsided!  He's back to his same old fat self, and even
gaining weight again!!!!  HOORAY!!!  I'm even getting apologies from
friends and family who had said "you're spending HOW MUCH on a BIG
RAT?!?!?!?!  You could have bought 7 new ones for that price!!!!"  ( I
just hate it when people refer to the boys as big rats...don't you?)  I
never had any doubts in my baby boy.  He's a survivor, and absolutely
irreplaceable.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice and suggestions I got while dealing
with Jerry's sickness.  Also, thanks to Dr Finkler, Dr McCormick, and, of
course, Dr Williams for the cryosurgical-knowledgeable vet recommendation.

Kisses to the fuzzies!  (Long distance, of course, no more passing of
colds.)

Kim and the tremendous two, Jerry and Stimy