From:
"K. Crassi" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Dec 2000 16:54:39 -0400
>From:    "Bruce Williams, DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
>ATTENTION FML - ATTENTION PLEASE!  I've heard this one over and over -
>that ECE stools have a bad smell.  THIS IS NOT TRUE.

So is the smell (or lack thereof) diagnostic?  If there is a smell, it's
not ECE, but if there isn't a smell it is (or may be) ECE?

>From:    Russ Latham <[log in to unmask]>
>like that.  With her being such a friendly and lovable little rat, it is
>such a shock to see her go into a "seek and destroy" mode.  If you have
>never seen a ferret in this sort of mode, it is really something to see.
>How can such a little adorable critter be sooooooo aggressive, but also
>be so lovable.

Because they are hunters and are also social.  Think about housecats.  I
used to have a dainty little female cat that was a total lapcat.  She was
also the terror of the local chipmunk population.  The first time she
caught one it was rather an accident (I saw the whole thing).  She just
happened to be walking along when the chipmunk (unlucky for him) happened
to pop out of one of his holes in the ground right under her nose.  She
simply opened her mouth and chomped him.  Then she walked around (this
dainty little sweet lapcat) growling under her breath and showing off her
kill.  Thereafter if I let her outside (which was rare), she would usually
return with a "gift" of some sort and want to bring it into the house to
show me.

She did not start biting me, or hunting me, or doing anything else
differently towards me than before.

Some domesticated cats have more hunting instinct.  Others would probably
let mice run over them and not care.  Ferrets are the same.  Some would
hunt, some won't.  If they do it doesn't mean that they are going to
suddenly turn into mini-wolverines and come after you.

Besides, if you let her play with the toy, it's good exercise and will
help her work off excess energy.  For healthy chew toys, try Cheweasels.
They're edible!

Happy New Year!
Karen
Let me be a shadow in Your light
Just a small reflection of a greater love
Let me be a shadow in Your light
That falls on the lost and the lonely
                        -- Lenny LeBlanc
No trees were harmed in the production of
this message.  However, a rather large number
of electrons were somewhat inconvenienced.
If you love ferrets, check out:
http://www.ferretwise.org