Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 2001 11:10:07 -0500
From:
Jaclyn Savolainen <[log in to unmask]>
I've been battling with the ringworm fungus in my house for several months
now, and am looking for input from others who's ferrets have had it.

Background: in September we rescued a very young kitten who had ringworm
and gave it to me.  I got over it and the vet said the kitten did too, and
it was safe to introduce him to the ferret.  Ferret and kitten got along
splendidly, but apparently kitten wasn't totally clear of ringworm because
a few weeks later we noticed the ferret had spots too.  So we separated the
animals and treated both with weekly shampoo/conditioner (Resizole) and
cream (Conofite).  Also clipped much of the ferrets hair around his spots.

The ferret has been receiving treatment since the first of December, but he
still seems to be carrying ringworm.  Fur has grown back much darker where
it was clipped, but the hair follicles are still colored orange-ish and
brownish on his skin (not smooth pink like elsewhere) in the spots he was
treated.  He also still is getting new spots of colored follicles,
including some around the edges of his mouth, and we aren't sure (neither
is the vet sure) if these are ringworm or just a traumatic reaction to the
treatment.

We don't want to put him on oral medication, because the vet said it can
damage his white blood cell supply and his bone marrow and also causes
vomiting and diarrhea.  Also it's not recommended for use around pregnant
women, and I'm pregnant.  Our vet is great with ferrets, but he's seen very
few with ringworm.

We've removed all fabric toys and furniture from the ferret's room, we wash
and bleach his bedding every few days, and vacuum and mop the wood floors
at least once a week (no carpeting).  Doing any more cleaning just isn't a
realistic option.

Here are my questions: how do we know when our ferret is cured and can be
reintroduced to the kitten?  Has anyone else experienced the dark fur and
dark, colored hair follicles/pores with treatment?  Any idea as to how long
this is going to last?  Will it eventually just work through his system?

Thanks,
Jaclyn