Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 14:58:54 -0500
From:
This was posted to the hedgehog help list, and I have the author's
(Gretchen Schmauder-Smith) permission to post here as it regards ferrets:

"We received the weekly flier this afternoon, which contains the Wednesday
classified ads.  I always scan these keeping an eye out for hedgehogs.
Well, tonight I found two.  The ad said pair of albino I decided I better
take a look at these two.  I drove out to his house, he answered the door,
and the smell hit me.  He was young, probably under 16, and in his room, he
had 2 hedgehogs, several ferrets, snakes, a bearded dragon and probably 50
rats.  The rats were running loose.  I asked about the sugar gliders (also
advertised in the paper), and he said they were locked IN HIS CLOSET!  I
know nothing about sugar gliders, but that can't be good.  Then I asked if
the HH had a wheel, and he said yes, but he prefered to let his CHINCHILLAS
run on it (he did say when he put a wheel with the HH, they ran like
crazy).  This kid had chinchillas in there somewhere.  When I wanted to see
the HH, he reached in a size 300 dog crate, where both the male and female
lived.  The male hated him, clicking and popping in protest whenever the
kid got near him.  The male was under 1 year and still hadn't been named.
The little guy immediately unrolled when I picked him up, revealing the
cutest little face.  Needless to say, I brought them both home.  When I
bathed them, I found them to have a flea infestation.  Anyway, on the
way out the door with my new babies, this kid's mother asked me if I
wanted any ferrets.  In my opinion, parents need to teach their children
responsibility when it comes to animals.  If I had animals in that
condition as a child, my parents would have dis-owned me.  It irritates me
that the parents of this boy would allow him to keep this many animals and
in such deplorable conditions.  He didn't seem to care about them at all.
If anyone in the north-western Washington area is interested in rats,
ferrets, sugar gliders or chinchillas, let me know.  I know of some that
need your help." If you live in that area and are interested in any of the
animals, Gretchen gave me the kid's phone number.  Please email privately
and I will give it to you.  Also, if anyone has any suggestions to help
this situation that I can pass onto her.

Thanks.
Moxie and Chance