From:
Melissa Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Feb 2001 09:42:56 -0800
Hi Folks!

Someone asked what we can do now, to help those ferrets that end up in Ms.
Rodriguez's care.  Since the case was thrown out, making open suggestions
that people not give their ferrets over too her care because of those
atrocities would be dangerous.  And of course, no one wants to financially
support the operation by paying adoption fees, though it would be a small
price to pay to save a fuzzy life.  It is a dilema.  I think the key is to
stop the ferrets from ever getting there, and here is what I suggest.

As another person pointed out, 3000+ members of this list, plus all of our
friends and relatives, plus many people in the locality of Ms. Rodriguez's
operation, know what happened, despite the court case.  This will keep
her numbers down, or one would assume.  That is a point in favor of the
ferrets.

The key is going to be to stop the rest of the ferret owners, who maybe
don't know, from taking ferrets there.  I suggest that everyone on this
list come up with one idea on how to do that, without slandering or
libeling Ms. Rodriguez.

My idea is an onslaught if informative brochures and other literature,
handed out at pet stores, shelters, and anywhere else you can think of,
including placing ads in local papers, explaining the best policy for
surrender of a pet.  Most people do care for animals, even upon surrender.
These people may need to be taught how to pick a shelter who will keep
their fuzzy safe and sound, and find them a good home.  There are things
a person can do to ensure that.  The first would be checking a shelters
records, another would be ONLY giving your fuzzy too a person who's entire
operation is viewable.  (Within reason, of course.  No Kim, we don't want
to see your bathroom, though something tells me that if someone asked, you
would.)

I also suggest that all the shelters in that area get together and make a
plan of attack, so to speak.  You know you will have the support of this
list, both financially, and in other services.  I myself volunteer to make
the graphic layout for a professional brochure.  I can make it in MS
Publisher and send a disk to anyone who would like to print the brochure
off to hand out from their shelter, at their church, their clubs, the
grocery store, the pet store, or anywhere else they want.  Now we need
someone who is willing to donate some cash, or just purchase brochure
paper or printer ink and send it to whomever needs it.  And someone to
collaborate with me on content.  And maybe some people in the area to
volunteer to do the printing and foot work of distributing the brochures.

I think a well planned education of ferret owners on what to do should they
decide to surrender their pet to a shelter is the ONLY way to keep ferrets
from ending up in the care of Ms. Rodriguez or anyone else like her.

What does anyone else think of my idea?

Melissa Barnes
www.lostferrets.com

=====