From:
"Mary L. McCarty" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 17:50:29 -0500
>[Moderator's note: "Superglue" IS used in some cases like this, but I hope
>the original poster meant the surgical variety would be used and under the
>supervision of a vet.  BIG]

Actually, my doctor has told me that if I ever get a very bad cut that it
is perfectly fine to use Superglue to glue the skin together.  He told me
the variety you can get at the 7/11 is the same as what he would charge me
$50 for ;-)

I have also gotten the okay from my vet to use it on a ferret.  I've done
this twice when stitches have popped out late at night and the ferrets were
fine.  Of course, I don't recommend it if you can get to the vet's office
and have the ferret stitched up again, but when it's an emergency it's not
going to kill your ferret to superglue him shut <g>

>I went to the Warm Fuzzy show this weekend and was frankly disappointed.
>The same few people won all the trophies-as if they were the favorites.
>I don't go for the trophies myself, but I spoke to several people who felt
>some of the judges were not impartial.  What bothered me was there were
>two

No flames from me <g>  The Warmfuzzy show is an All Specialty Fun Show, the
judges are not trained by any particular organization (if trained at all),
but are told to follow a very simple judging sheet and as long as they are
consistent they should do fine.  That being said, I can only comment on my
own judging.  I happen to be an AFA judge, but I do volunteer my services
for shows that are shelter benefits and I follow their judging sheets to
the best of my ability.

In the classes I judged, I didn't know the person who took first place in
the Mitt ring (but she had a beauitful mitt that deserved that trophy <g>).
I did know the person who won the Black Sable ring, but I knew almost all
of those entered in that class and that didn't have anything to do with who
won.  It was the best ferret according to the judging sheets for that
class.

The same people couldn't have won all the trophies, because a friend of
mine won her very first trophy that day - she was so excited and her ferret
deserved it.

I may be one of those folks that you are talking about, as I did go home
with three first places on Saturday (and I go to many shows <g>), but the
ferrets that won *did* deserve it.  They are well-maintained (maintenance
plays a BIG part in your ferret's scores!), have great temperments and were
having great hair days.  They have done well at other shows, so I was not
completely shocked when they did well at this one.  However, I have other
ferrets that I show that do not do nearly as well, so I don't believe it's
me that is enticing the judges <g>

If someone feels that a judge is being unfair, ask why their ferret scored
so much differently than the first place ferret.  Talk to the judge, find
out what you can do to better prepare your ferret next time.  I'm betting
that there are things that the judge is looking for that you aren't aware
of.  If the judge can't answer or doesn't answer to your satisfaction, then
go see the show coordinator.

However, as I mention above, maintenance has a great deal to do with your
ferrets scores.  I saw alot of ferrets that had dirty teeth and dirty ears
at the show.  There were also alot of ferrets that were starting to come
into season and needed a bath.  Some ferrets were very nippy or ansty.
All these things are counted into your score, not just how they look.

Besides, if someone wins alot, why not ask them what they do to prepare for
a show?  That's what I did when I first started showing.  I learned and
improved with every show, too.  I also talked to many judges - asking them
what they look for and what I could do as an owner to ensure my ferret the
best possible chance of winning.

You hear the same stuff at horse shows, dog shows, cat shows, etc.  I stand
by my judging and welcome anyone to come talk to me at any show on why I
judged a ferret the way I did.

>kids in particular, one belonging to two of the judges, who were playing
>in the ferret playpen rolling balls at the ferrets and trying to pick them
>all up.  This particular child was even head-butting another child...

I didn't notice this particular incident happening, but it's something that
goes for all shows and all folks who bring kids - please keep the children
under control.  Kids are the reason, in addition to the fact that it's
dangerous for spreading disease, that I don't like to see people walking
their ferrets on a harness on the floor at shows.  It's just an accident
waiting to happen.

Mary

Mary McCarty-Houser, Director
Pennsylvania Ferret Rescue Association of Centre County
http://www.ferretrescue.com