From:
"Wendy S. Anderson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 21:39:28 -0700
Please help confirm I'm doing the right thing.

I've done my research on the archives, and I think I have my plan of
action.  It's time for Kibble's second distemper shot (since the petstore
people were _pretty_ sure she'd had the first one *sigh*); she's probably
about 12 weeks old now.  I can go to just about any vet and have them
pretreat with benedryl (injectable is best, oral is ok), wait 10 minutes,
give her an injection of Fervac-D or Galaxy-D (doesn't seem to make much
difference at this point, near as I can tell), wait about 30 minutes at
the vet, then go home.  Take her back in in 2 weeks for her rabies shot,
following same procedure.

I'm crossing my fingers on this one.  I've had reactions before, and it is
SCARY STUFF!

So here's the big question.  Last year when I took my babies in for their
annuals, both Pica and Buttercup had moderate and severe reactions to the
vaccine.  I've decided I probably want to vaccinate again this year despite
my concerns.  I'm going to call my vet tomorrow and find out which vaccine
he used on them.  The question is: if I can arrange it, should I get them
the vaccine that they didn't have last year?  If they had the reaction to
Fervac, should I try to get them Galaxy, or if they had the reaction to
Galaxy, should they get Fervac?  Does it really make a difference?  I'd
sure like to do anything I can to keep them (and me!) from going through
that trauma again.

Also (and I'm just confirming again), the pretreatment is recommended, even
though there is a slight chance that this will only delay the allergic
reaction?  I'm of the school that if they're going to have a reaction, I'd
rather have it in the vet's office, but even better is no reaction at all.

Sorry for being redundant, but this is about the scariest thing I do with
my babies.

Oh, for those of you interested, Kibble is still having a hard time with
most of the bigger ferrets, but she's getting big enough to be able to
defend herself from Buttercup fairly well.  Butter still tries to scruff
her a lot, but Kibble's not completely freaking out when she does it, she
seems more mad than scared.  I still haven't let her be around Flower much,
or Pica at all.

Thanks for any advice anyone has for me, and thanks especially to Dr.
Williams for his invaluable advice on this subject last November.

Wendy and House Penferret: Boobah, Buttercup, Pica, Flower, and Kibble