From:
Kate Ball <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 2001 19:49:17 -0600
My comments on 2 different posts:
1) Minx who is 6 yrs old & having wheezing/breathing/cough problems
especially after waking up - I would be very suspicious of heart disease
and definitely get her xrayed - you may also need an
ultrasound/echocardiogram to evaluate the heart completely.  Ferrets can
get dilated or hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and the ultrasound can determine
which is present, if necessary.  Heartworm disease will also cause heart
problems.  You also mentioned that she is hard to get blood from - have
they tried using isoflurane to anesthetize her?

2) vit C for ferrets?  I've not heard anyone trying it, but it is a water
soluble vitamin for ferrets, too - so it probably wouldn't hurt in small
enough doses.  Too much vit C can cause diarrhea though.

K. Ball DVM