From:
Wayne Gardner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 11:21:25 -0000
Some odd and amusing definitions of whippet ferrets.

The term, as far as I am aware, stems from their body shape and the
abilities this gives them.  Yesterday Kathy stated that it was down to the
slender body shape and Ann remarked that it was due to the ability to whip
through small spaces.  One begot the other and both are therein correct.

In the UK ferrets are only recently becoming pets but have for centuries
been hard working hunting animals, used for rabbit hunting, in the main.

The stereotypical Yorkshireman wears a flat cap, keeps ferrets down his
trousers (and yes that does happen in real life) and has a whippet (as in
the dog) along side him.  (sorry him/her).  It is the physical form of both
the Whippet bread of dog and the so named Whippet ferret that make them
ideal for hunting down burrows.

I must say that I am not a hunter with ferrets and I am not keen on the
concept but it goes on and has for centuries, sobeit.  It is fair to say
that an industry exists around hunting and from it products such as sub
terrainian trackers for your ferret, snares and purse nets stem.  My
ferrets do work, on the other hand, in the entertainments industry as
cable layers at concerts and events.  It seems strange to me, I have read
a number of ferret books that were written in America and they all seem
quite anti-working ferret and very anti-hunting ferret.  Does the average
american ferret owner only keep ferrets as a pets.

Wayne
Lector, Sue and Bob too
(and for anyone who has seen the film, yes that is where the inspiration
comes from and indeed that area of Bradford is where I come from).