From:
"Bruce Williams, DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 22:11:04 -0500
Dear Sherin:

>A week ago, she seemd like she was feeling better, diarrhea was improved,
>and she was starting to eat more and without protest.  In the past couple
>of days she is eating only small amounts and with a lot of struggle, and
>has VERY watery light brown diarrhea several times a day.  Yesterday she
>had sub-q fluids; i thought that would perk her up but it didn't.  Her
>little anus is protruding slightly; after her first meal today she acted
>like she wanted to throw up, but she didn't produce anything.
>
>I've been giving her carafate & pepto 10-15 minutes before eating &
>offering/insisting on warmed up chicken baby food many times a day.

Well, I'm not sure why you are giving the pepto - it doesn't add anything
to the treatment regimen except stress.  If you are not using it in
concert with amoxicillin and metronidazole for Helicobacter - it doesn't
do anything.

At this point, my advice is to stick with the program.  Carafate, bland
diet and subq fluids.  No diarrheic ferret dies when those are used - and
the fact that she has made it for a month now makes it unlikely that she
will pass on.

Keep looking carefully for signs of an ulcer (my sneaking suspicion in this
case) - tooth grinding is probably the most likely symptom that you will
see.  Let's ditch the pepto at this point.  Let's stick with the program -
some ferrets go up and down.  When she is back on an even keel - I think
we may start on some low dose pred - but only after she starts eating
regularly again.  Also I'd suggest subq fluids on a daily basis - see if
your vet will show you how to do it - a great skill for a ferret mom to
master and not all that difficult.

Hang in there - lot's of TLC and good nursing care will pull her through.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM