From:
Shelley Trulock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 19:28:50 EST
I am one of those "lucky" , sense some sarcasm here, people who are in the
98th percentile for allergies, only 2% of people have them worse than me.
One of my worse allergies is to animal fur.  Cats are especially bad as
well as horses.  Dogs are more tolerable, however I suffer for days after
any significant exposure.  Being a true animal lover, this has alwasy
caused me a lot of sadness.  Well, 10 years ago we were introduced to
ferrets and were hooked!  I finally decided to heck with the allergies,
I've got to have a ferret as part of the family.  Long story short, I have
found that a fert is about the only pet my allergies can tolerate.  If one
accidentally scratches me it will welt up, but no big deal.  Breathing wise
ferrets are much gentler on my allergies.  Even if I snuggle with one and
have them in my face, I can still breath.  Thats big for me.  Now, keep
in mind, when I do go to the local shelter to help out or just visit, my
allergies do suffer.  Double digit ferrets can be trying on my allergies,
but its worth it to me.

Hope this helps.  Shelley